Peep Wars

Each year for Easter, my mom sends me 2 types of candy: Peeps and Cadbury Crème Eggs. Over the years, I have grown to be fond of stale peeps. However, a recent discovery has changed my outlook on Peep consumption.

I can’t remember which website I got the idea from, but somewhere on the interwebs, there was a posting that detailed how to have a Peep War.

1. Place two Peeps approximately 2 inches apart on a microwave safe plate.

2. Have each person choose a Peep and place a toothpick in a sword-like position approximately where the Peep’s “arm” would be.

3. Place plate in microwave on High for about 2 minutes. If you have a microwave with a rotating table, be sure to mark which Peep is which, because when they’re spinning, it can be hard to remember which Peep is which.

4. Watch carefully as the Peeps swell. The first Peep to stab the other “wins.” If the Peeps get much bigger than an orange, turn the microwave off. I’m not sure how big a Peep will get before it explodes, but no one wants to have to clean marshmallow goo off the microwave walls.

So, those are the basic Peep war instructions. What the website didn’t have was any indication of what you would have when you were done. When removed from the microwave, the peeps deflate into gooey puddles. Shortly thereafter, they congeal into a taffy-like substance. In a few more moments, they solidify into a crunchy, almost meringue-ish candy.

Saturday night, my roommate Mikaela and I had a Peep war. I’m not sure who won – the Peeps stabbed each other at about the same time. We were left with crunchy peepalicious marshmaffy. We did this while listening to an awesome mashup of Beyonce’s “Put a Ring on it” and the Andy Griffith theme song - . Yes, it was silly, stupid and tasty.

Comments

  1. I seem to have a fond memory of you and your Cadbury Eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I've never been a fan of Peeps (I don't know why, since I'll eat pretty much anything else with sugar in it...), but when next Easter rolls around, you can guarantee I'll get a pack!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Healthy Across Kansas

THE Juice

Empire China Restaurant Lyons, Kansas