Culinary confessions

The latest trend in American cuisine is to eat everything - all sorts of vegetables, previously unpopular fishes and cuts of meat, and "offal" - organ meats, pig trotters, ears, snouts - everything. I commend this outlook, and I've drastically expanded the foods that are in regular rotation in my diet since high school. Just since moving to Kansas I've added turnips, brussels sprouts, and raw milk.

However, every foodie/food nerd/chowhound/whatever-you-want-to-call-someone-obsessed-with-food has some dislikes, and a couple of closet "likes" that you know are culinarily taboo. Things you are supposed to like, but just can't stomach, or foods (usually overprocessed memories of childhood) that "real foodies" would scoff at. These are my confessions:

Dislikes:
Beets - taste like dirt, can't eat them in anything despite trying many varieties and prearations

Radishes - see above, but can handle them if chopped fine and mixed in something

Organ meats - I haven't tried them much, but I'm not about to prepare them at home and there's nowhere here to try them, so I'm not eating them. I've had tongue tacos before and they were okay. There are other things that I'd rather eat, so I'll eat them instead.

Likes:
McDonald's chicken nuggets - this is not actually a food, but sometimes, I get that craving.
A hotdog with just ketchup - plain, boring, but oh-so-satisfying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Healthy Across Kansas

Peep Wars